LIVE
...

Follow us on

Transfers

Everton’s £17m transfer slammed as pundit claims he does ‘not understand’ it

Jordan Pickford was not the only Everton player who saved his best performance of the Premier League campaign for Saturday’s trip to Mikel Arteta’s title-chasing Arsenal.

Pickford left Kai Havertz and co frustrated during a stunning 90 minute display.

Frustrating The Gunners’ misfiring forwards with a series of sensational stops – the England number one the biggest reason why Everton came away from the Emirates with a point and a clean sheet for good mea🌞sure – James Tarkowski cleared everything in sight, Ashley Young silenced a man 16 years his junior in Gabriel Martinelli, and Orel Mangala barely put a foot wrong in midfield.

The prospect of Vitality Mykolenko going head to head with Bukayo Saka, meanwhile, may have had Everton supportersꦺ heading to North London 📖fearing the worst.

The Ukraine international had been given the runaround by Amad Diallo in a 4-0 thumping at Manch♕ester United only a few weeks eaꦗrlier, after all.

But Mykolenko has often saved his most൩ impressive displays for the very best opposition since arriving at Go𓂃odison Park to the tune of £17 million three years ago.

And, as Saka became the latest prisoner in the Mykolenko penitentiary during a performance Toffees boss, Sean Dyche was left raving about a peformance he felt was nothing short o꧒f ‘outstanding’.

Photo by Stephanie Meek - CameraSport via Getty Images
Photo by Stephanie Meek – CameraSport via Getty Images

Vitaliy Mykolenko’s £17m move to Everton labelled a mistake

Yet, as far as former Ukraine forward Viktor Leonenko is concerned, it is frustrating to see💖 one of the nation’s biggest-ever exports embroiled in yet another Premier League relegation battle.

Everton finished 16th, 17th and 15th in Mykolenko’s first two-and-a-half years on Merseyside. And, despite that Arsenal stalemate, Dyche’s team🦂 sit 16th currently, only two places 🐠above the drop zone.

“I absolutely do not understand Mykolenko, who moved from Dynamo to [a team stru✱ggling in] the Premier League,” Le🐟onenko, who earned 14 caps for his country, tells .

“Everton is constantly fighting for survival.”

Everton certainly won’t the only English-based club to take note of Mykolenko at Dynamo Kiev. According to , Stanleyꦜ Park neighbours Liverpool scouted the left-back at on𒁏e point.

Ukrainian agent Vyacheslav𒀰 Zakhovailo said, via , that Newcastle were interested a few weeks before Mykolenko ar🃏rived at Everton. Italian giants Roma, then under the stewardship of Jose Mourinho, were heavily linked at the time too.

Mykolenko has enjoyed ‘an incredible rise’ at Everton

Mykolenko has played the full 90 minutes in all but one of the 13 Premier League games in which he has featured in 2024/25. And while the tough-tackling 25-year-old may have endured a slow start to the campaign – there 💧are still major doubts over his attacking output – no one could accuse Mykolenko of stagnati🍨ng in English football.

Everton icon Leon Osman sung Mykolenko’s praises a few months back, 🧜the winter addition winning him over with hi♉s aggression and his fearless approach against the league’s finest widemen.

 “It’s been an incredible rise from Vitaliy Mykolenko,” Osman told . “When he first joined♈, I wasn’t certain about him.

“He looks stronger thi⛦s season and is h𝔉appy to go toe-to-toe with wingers. He’s one of the first men on the team sheet now.”